Unless you have been living under a stone for the past few days, you would be aware that TikTok received as many as 4 million new comments on Google Play Store — with most of them being negative.
Further, its rating fell from 4+ stars to around 1.3 stars within just a few days.
However, even if the ratings of TikTok falls to 1 star, it is highly unlikely that it will be removed from Google Play store.
Let me first give you real examples of similar situations for other apps. One from Google Play Store and Apple Store each.
Zoom App (Google Play Store):
- This video conferencing app was under a scanner recently due to privacy issues and faced a similar issue wherein it's ratings dropped from 4.5 to 2.0 stars
- However, the ratings were back to 4.0 a few days later
- Google's algorithms combined with manual scrutiny by Google employees identify such manipulations in reviews/ratings and remove it
Ding Talk App (Apple Store):
- Another similar incident happened in China where the Ding Talk app was introduced by the Chinese govt. for online classes amidst the COVID Pandemic
- To escape online classes, some really smart (sarcasm!) students came up with an idea.
- Thousands of such students gave negative comments about DingTalk on the Apple store hoping the app would be removed.
- However, it was not removed from App store and was available for download even after that
- Indeed, TikTok is an Ashwathama that... (More)