Skip to main content
Rajnish SharmaTop Contributor
Content Creator || Android App Developer
Asked a question 2 years ago

What degree should I aim for if I want to become an entrepreneur in the future?

Where am I?

In StartupTalky you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

There is no requirement of any degree to be an entrepreneur. If your idea is one in million and you have the potential to take it forward then you can be a successful entrepreneur. Having a degree just make the things easier. For instance if you have an MBA degree then it will be easy for you to analyze the market, your business skills will be better and people will give more attention to you ideas because of your knowledge. So, there is no such requirement of degree but having one will always keep you one step ahead. 

Rajnish SharmaTop Contributor
Content Creator || Android App Developer

You may get different answers from different sites but today I am going to clear all your doubts regarding this question. Many people make up their mind in early stages of their life to be an entrepreneur. And start thinking for the courses and degrees which can help them become an entrepreneur. 

But I would say, you don't need a degree or certificate to be an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurship is really learned by doing, not from books. Some theory will help you A LOT, but you certainly don’t need a degree or even a certification. I recommend learning the Lean Startup model as it is a great way to start a new business with controlled risks. The book Running Lean from Ash Maurya is my favorite.

But a little knowledge of marketing is better if you want to make a startup. Marketing is the work of knowing and developing a market. It's foremost in what an entrepreneur does as before you do anything else, you have to know a market.

Rather, you could NOT know the market and just start building a product, model, or funding an opportunity, but why on Earth would you do that only to have the market put you out of business - competitors, experience, already known processes, known failure, etc.

Every founder, whether they know it or not (whether they agree with me or not) starts with Marketing.

Marketing applies everywhere.

The misleading role that schools are increasingly playing is that they are teaching a class called “Entrepreneurship.”

Thing is, entrepreneurship isn't actually a job, career, nor title. It's not a role in a company. It's a personality traits. You might be entrepreneurial, and you can learn what that means, but you can't really study and learn to be an entrepreneur. You can learn to be an accountant, or developer, or marketer, or sales person, and in those roles you might be entrepreneurial (or you might not be).

Thus, begging the question, what should you actually study? The work of knowing the market so you might find, study, and build a venture that works.