Through listening, one can develop better understanding and relationships.
Few steps to effective listening-
- Maintain eye contact with the speaker - By no means you should engage in some other activities. You should focus on the conversation and be attentive.
- Be ready to listen - Be free from any distractive thoughts and make your mind clear so that you can receive the information better. Your physical activity says more about your personality and how you behave.
- You should know the art of mirroring - Your actions or emotions should match with the speaker's. This shows that you understand the speaker's problem and listening carefully.
- Don't judge and interrupt in between - Let the speaker finish what he wants to say because responding before finishing can lead to innapropriate judgments.
- Wait to respond at right time - Don't interrupt in between and wait for the speaker to finish his point , then respond. In between interruption will make the speaker forget what he's actually saying or miss a point.
- Give positive feedback - Express through facial expressions. Your body language says a lot about you. your thoughts and mood. Looking somewhere else, constant hand or shoulder movements, these all show that the person seems detached with conversation.